Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Cultural Outreach in Kamio

 For as long as I have been miner bumping, I've had my fair share of miners that don't speak English. Google Translate tries its best to help me understand them, but most results end up nonsensical. You could imagine my delight when during a routine permit patrol in the Kamio ice belt, I met miner Mirar Zian, a speaker of Spanish! I've taken a few courses myself, but this would be a true test of my "vocabulario." That's Spanish for "library of words."


 I noticed that Mirar didn't have a permit on him, and decided to start a private conversation. An Agent needs to be personal with the miners in his area to truly get a feel for the community.


 Well, so much for copping a feel. I hadn't even noticed that his "hola" was truly a Spanish greeting! My Spanish is a little rusty, but I felt that I could take on this cultural boundary without resorting to Google's wonky translation efforts. For all I knew, a result from Google could end up saying "I want to sell your sister like a secondhand bike." I started slow by reintroducing myself.


 "What?" Well, you can't say I didn't try. On to Plan B: Copious amounts of bumping.


 I immediately rammed Mirar out of the ice belt with a few swift bumps, hitting him so hard he left the conversation. Let it be known that if you can't get your point across with words, then a few bumps will do. You don't need a translator to understand the lack of a New Order Mining Permit. After his ice cycle had ended some 50km away from the asteroid, Mirar warped off.


 As it turned out from a quick chat in Local, Mirar was a fellow speaker of English. Quite the smartass, too! While the little amount of Spanish I knew helped me see past his flimsy lingüísticas, I'll probably just resort to a quick Google Translate followed by a rousing bumping session in the future. After all, actions speak much louder than Spanish words. Or any words, really.

2 comments:

  1. Agent BillMurray. Hello! Im a code following miner of high sec! Give me a call to SheoFapped or Momiji Yakumo when ever you need accurate translations to spanish as its my natural language. x3

    ReplyDelete